McCann vs "The Evening Standard."
The British newspaper, "The Evening Standard," has just swelled the already long list of media in the UK who have been obliged to offer their apologies to Madeleine McCann's parents.The announcement of this about-face by, "The Evening Standard," was made on the same day as Maddie's father told the Portuguese media that he wished to, "move forward and not back,"and that he had no intention of taking legal action against the media.
To the Portuguese journalists Gerry McCann stated that he wished to, "make totally clear that what happened in the past, was finished," claiming, according to him, to focus, "on what could be done to continue the search."
"That's our priority and that has always been. However, these things (possible legal actions) are simply not important at this time," Gerry Mccann stated.
In spite of Madeleine McCann's father's statements, that the couple were not concerned with possible legal action against the media, the British newspaper was obliged to make, "a substantial donation," to the fund created after Maddie's disappearance, and to, "publish announcements in foreign editions of another newspaper in our group, the Daily Mail, requesting information which might lead to finding Madeleine."In its online edition, the newspaper, "The Evening Standard," writes that during the last months of 2007, "like a large part of the media," it published various articles which, "could be understood as suggesting that Kate and Gerry McCann might be involved in Madeleine's disappearance."
"We regret this fact and we wish to clarify, to avoid any doubt, that we totally accept that there is no proof to suggest that Kate and Gerry were involved in their daughter's disappearance," writes the newspaper.
An editorial source at the daily, contacted by SMM, confirmed that this announcement is the result of an agreement between the publication and lawyers for the couple in order to avoid a protracted action in the courts where, "given the McCanns' enormous political and legal support, there would be very little chance of success." The same source further states that this announcement, "has changed nothing of the view various journalists have about the case and the possible responsibility of the couple," but that in future, "it will be impossible to publish a single line that might implicate the couple."In its online edition, the Evening Standard further writes that there, "is no evidence that Madeleine has come to any harm," thus ignoring all the evidence, and honest logic of this kind of case, that indicates that the little British girl will be dead.
Ex-KGB at the head of the Evening Standard.
In the next few days, the millionaire and former KGB agent, Alexandre Lebedev, could become the new owner of the Evening Standard, which could see a hypothetical change in the editorial policy of the newspaper. At least, this is what many journalists are expecting, unhappy with the direction followed by the newspaper and worried about its financial situation.
If the sale is confirmed, the former spy will be the first Russian to become majority owner of a major British newspaper: according to the terms of the sale agreement, Lebedev will hold 76% of the newspaper, the remaining 24% remaining the property of the Daily Mirror & General Trust, the current owner.
This is not the first time a major English daily has become the property of foreigners. An Australian bought The Times, The Sun and the News of The World, and a Canadian had, at one time, been the owner of The Telegraph.